Facebook event page
Lettersong Calligraphy Studio and Gallery
1501 Story Ave, Louisville, Kentucky 40206
Bringing Your Lettering to a New Level
Mat’l Fee: $15 per student
Length: Two-day (or more) workshop
Ok, so you’ve taken a few lettering classes and have a few hands under your belt. Great! But what’s next? You’ve seen all the beautiful work in the lettering magazines and the art exhibits and wonder, “Will I ever be able to do that?!” The answer is “Yes!” and this class will show you how.
Using favorite tools and a favorite quote, students will be led through a series of exercises that will focus not only on the lettering but on layout, composition, and the negative space that is created. Principles of graphic design will be introduced as we discuss where the next letter or word should go; where and when to apply color; and the steps it takes to get to a finished piece.
We will use the favorite tools to work with black on white, white on black, walnut and sumi inks, and watercolors, as well as different papers.
In the first part of the class, we will all work together on various exercises. The second part of class will be more individual instruction as each student begins to develop his or her specific piece, finishing with a final layout that could be matted and framed.
• Calligraphy tools of choice (bring several different types--broad-edged nibs and �brushes, pointed pens and brushes, and experimental tools like cola pens, broom bristle pens, etc.)
• Small bottle sumi ink
• Small bottle walnut ink
• Layout paper or any paper on which you can sketch lettering layouts
• Pencil and eraser
• Several sizes of Micron black pens (.005, .01, .02)
• 12” or 18” metal ruler
• Some watercolors and gouache (whatever you have)
• Colored pencils (set of 12 is fine)
• 6-well paint tray
• 9 x 12 pad tracing paper (50 sheets minimum: cheap—may be shared between 2 �people)
• 9 x 12 pad Bienfang Graphics 360 Translucent Marker Paper (a 50-sheet pad is about �$8 on DickBlick.com and may be shared between 2 people)
OTHER BRANDS: Canson Pro-Layout Marker Paper, Borden & Riley Boris Layout
Paper for Markers, or any type of marker paper that is smooth and doesn’t bleed
• 3–4 small yogurt or plastic containers for inks
• Lots of 11 x 17 practice paper (copy paper: a ream could be shared between 3-4 �people)
• X-acto knife and a couple of #11 blades
• Cutting surface
• Glue stick
• Cheap mixing brush
• Roll of paper towels
• Water container
• A couple of favorite quotes and favorite words
• Any images that you want to use for reference to include in your piece
INSTRUCTOR WILL SUPPLY (I can get paper in bulk order cheaper than individuals can purchase. If people want more than one sheet, they can email me with their quantities. I will place the order and have the paper shipped to Louisville—unless I’m driving. We can decide this later.)
1 sheet per student:
• Arches Text Wove
• Canson Mi-Tientes (Black)
• Various calligraphic tools (for students to try)
• Roll of 3/4” drafting or blue painter’s tape
class times, lecture Friday night @ 7
Lunch at instructors discreetion
Logistic letter sent 2 weeks before class will tell about parking etc., call for questions.
class fee $185. early bird discount $165
Such a deal! come please come to beautiful Louisville! Some hospitality available call me or email me Jen Grove 502-819-1439
and we will do the fancy footwork to have an AMAZING weekend… Lotsa love and good food!!!